ALEXANDRIA - One dog is dead, and another is sick, due to blue algae poisoning near Alexandria, near Hoffman.

The Douglas County Sheriff's Office says the water patrol received a report yesterday (Thursday) of two ill dogs after swimming in Red Rock Lake. One of the dogs later died.

Due to the recent weather conditions, heavy rainfall runoff and humid temperatures, Red Rock Lake has an early bloom of blue algae.

The Sheriff's Office recommends keeping animals and kids out of the lake.

If your pet has symptoms like seizures, vomiting, or diarrhea, after contact with water call your veterinarian right away. If you, or your kids, have stomach cramps, headaches, difficulty breathing, etc. call your doctor or the Poison Information Hotline at 800-222-1222.

More From AM 1240 WJON