Officials: Cigarette Apparently Started Fatal House Fire
SHAMROCK TOWNSHIP, Minn. (AP) - Investigators say a cigarette apparently started a fire that killed two people in Aitkin County.
The sheriff's office has identified the victims as 80-year-old Raymond Jackman and 69-year-old Sandra Lee Neumann. Autopsy results show both died of smoke and soot inhalation.
They died in a home in Shamrock Township Sunday.
Authorities say a 911 call from inside the home revealed the two may have gone back inside the burning house to search for a pet.