ST. CLOUD - November 6th, 1903 – June Marlowe (Gisela Goetten), famous St. Cloud actress, is born.

St. Cloud’s famed beauty June Marlowe captured the hearts of the world as a Hollywood film star of the 1920’s.

Born November 6, 1903 to Hedwig (Hattie) and John P. Goetten, a St. Cloud meat market owner, Gisela was the oldest of five children. As a child, Gisela attended St. Mary’s Parochial School and Tech High School. The Goetten children spent their winters ice skating on Lake George and their summers on Spunk Lake near Avon, MN. The Goetten family moved to Los Angeles, California where June attended and graduated from Hollywood High School in 1922.

Although she planned a career in art, Gisela participated in many high school stage production. It was during this time that Gisela’s natural beauty and talent was discovered. With her tall slender build, wavy hair, smooth complexion and expressive eyes, she was destined to become a star.


Gisela made her film debut in 1924, in “Find Your Man,” with Rin Tin Tin. Her overwhelming success and popularity as the “girl with the soulful eyes” prompted producers to change her name to June Marlowe after the famous stage star, Julia Marlowe. After signing a contract with Warner Studios, June appeared in many successful films such as “A Lost Lady” and “The Life of Riley.” She won critical acclaim for her role as Trusia in the 1926 silent film “Don Juan” with John Barrymore. In 1928m Universal studios widened June’s audience abroad by giving her the starring role in four German films.

YouTube video:

After achieving international fame, June returned to Hollywood in 1930. She took the role as Miss Crabtree in six “Our Gang” comedies produced by Hal Roach. June’s role as the lovable and beautiful school teacher with child star Jackie Cooper has been the most famous and memorable of her Hollywood career.


Following the success of her film career, June left the glamour of Hollywood and entered private life. She traveled much and visited St. Cloud regularly. She died in California on March 10, 1984.

Thanks to Sarah Warmka and the Stearns History Museum for their help with our series, “This Date in Central Minnesota History” on WJON.