Around the Town: SCSU to Host Relay for Life Fundraiser [VIDEO]
ST. CLOUD -- This week on WJON’s Around the Town segment, reporter Chrissy Gaetke goes to St. Cloud State University where organizers are gearing up for the Relay for Life fundraiser.
The event will be Friday evening from 6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. in the Halenbeck Hall field house. St. Cloud State student organizer, Katelyn Gill says proceeds from the fundraiser help fund programs offered to cancer patients through the American Cancer Society.
"75 percent of the proceeds go to helping cancer patients so that would be [programs] like the Lodge of Hope, which is a place where you can stay when you're going through treatment. Or helping with wigs, different things like that. Then the other 25 percent goes back into Relay, so helping do promotions for the next year and more relays."
Each Relay for Life team has a separate fundraising goal but as a whole they'd like to raise $10,000. Other than teams walking around the track in support of one another, Gill says they do have many games planned for the night.
"We're going to have some bean bag toss, we have an Olympic theme so where trying to see what we can do with that, we have knockerballs which are these giant inflatable balls and you just hit each other with them. We're going to have a yoga instructor come out, a zumba instructor and lots of food as well."
Last year, 200 students came out to the event., Gill says they hope to have more come out this year. If you would like to form a team, or make donation click here.
Every Friday during the News at Noon Show, Gaetke travels around the St. Cloud metro area to highlight local celebrations, businesses and charity events. Do you have a suggestion of where she should go? Email email@example.com
Videographer Justin LaBounty contributed to this story.