Firework Safety Tips
UNDATED -- It's time to celebrate the United States, and the Minnesota Department of Public Safety reminds everyone to celebrate safely.
A report issued by the U.S. Consumer Protection Safety Commission shows firework-related injuries are up over 25% since 2006, with nine deaths in 2021.
The Minnesota State Fire Marshal says there were 78 injuries in 2020, including 12 children under the age of 9.
Here are a few tips to celebrate with legal fireworks safely:
- Make sure everyone is wearing shoes.
- Point fireworks away from people and animals.
- Use fireworks away from houses and trees.
- Have a bucket of water available and dispose of all used fireworks in it.
- Don’t try to re-light a dud.
- Closely supervise children and teach them about firework safety.
- Don’t use fireworks while intoxicated.
Minnesota DPS would like to remind everyone that 30% of firework injuries are from sparklers, and 45% of injuries happen to children.