Regulators: Nursing Home Failed to Supervise Woman Who Died
CANNON FALLS, Minn. (AP) - Minnesota regulators say a Cannon Falls nursing home failed to adequately supervise a resident who died after choking on a sandwich.
The state Department of Health released its findings Wednesday on the Gardens at Cannon Falls. Investigators say nursing home staff knew the resident wasn't happy with her soft diet and would routinely try to take solid food from others.
Reports identified the resident as 77-year-old Margarita Schuler who died in mid-November. The state report says she took a sandwich when aides weren't looking and choked. Staff did the Heimlich maneuver and chest compressions and called 911. But, the resident died on the way to the hospital.
The nursing home has the right to appeal the state's findings. The nursing home administrator did not immediately return a call for comment.