ST. JOSEPH - St. Joseph recognized a four-year-old girl who they say saved an apartment from being burned down.

The incident happened back on February 24th. St. Joseph Police Chief Joel Klein says a grease fire started in the apartment with 4-year-old ShyAnn Jamison inside.

Jamison noticed the fire and immediately ran upstairs to get help from an adult. LisaMarie Thomas came to help and used two fire extinguishers to knock down the flame until firefighters arrived.

Klein says Jamison likely saved the apartment building with her actions.

"She did the right thing by running to find an adult for help," Klein says.

Jamison was honored by the city on Monday night with a life safety award and a gift certificate to McDonalds.

She was also given a drawstring bag with her name and the date of the incident acknowledging her personal achievement.  This bag was donated by Krillan, a custom screen printing and embroidery company in St. Cloud.

Police Chief Joel Klein presenting the award to ShyAnn Jamison. (City of St. Joseph)