Contact Us

Stearns Joins Lawsuit Against Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae

Court ActionST. CLOUD — Stearns County has agreed to be part of a class action lawsuit against Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

Hennepin County has initiated the lawsuit against the mortgage giants to recover real estate transfer taxes since early 2006. If the lawsuit is successful, 97% of the back taxes goes to the state with counties dividing up the remaining 3%.

Stearns County Civil Division Chief Attorney Marcus Miller says there is little risk in joining the class action suit because Hennepin County is only looking to recoup its costs if they win.

Miller says it’s unclear how much money Stearns County stands to recapture until they pour over records during that time period.

Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae argue they are exempt from the deed tax under their federal charter.

Counties have the right to opt out of the lawsuit, but it’s expected that all 87 counties will stay on.

More News from WJON

Best of the Web

Leave a Comment

It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.

Forgot your password?

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://wjon.com using your Facebook account.

*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.

Please fill out the information below to help us provide you a better experience.

Register on AM 1240 WJON quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!

Not a Member? Sign Up Here

Register on AM 1240 WJON quickly by logging in with your Facebook account. It's just as secure, and no password to remember!