Martin County to Receive $44K in Storm Aid
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - Martin County will receive state disaster aid following a June 22 severe storm.
The money comes from a new state program designed to help counties deal with smaller-scale local emergencies that don't rise to the level of federal disasters.
Preliminary assessments showed the storm caused nearly $60,000 in damage. Martin County will reportedly receive 75 percent - or $44,800 - to reimburse the cost of debris removal and repairs to public utilities around the cities of Ceylon, Fairmont, Sherburn and Welcome. The southern Minnesota county is responsible for the remaining 25 percent.
Gov. Mark Dayton approved Martin County as the first in the state to benefit from the fund outside of a major federal disaster declaration. About $1 million is in the fund right now.