Child Hospitalized After Exposure to Blue-Green Algae Near Alexandria
UNDATED - Safety officials want you to check the water before you dive into the lake this holiday weekend.
The Minnesota Department of Health says a child was recently hospitalized after being exposed to blue-green algae while swimming in Lake Henry near Alexandria.
Earlier in June, multiple dogs were sickened and two dogs died from exposure to the toxic algae in Red Rock Lake also in Douglas county. Health officials say, while both of these instances happened to be in the Alexandria area, blue-green algae blooms can happen in any lake.
If someone is exposed to the toxic blooms, symptoms may include: vomiting, diarrhea, eye irritation, and headaches. Exposure symptoms for dogs include: difficulty breathing, liver failure, and seizures.