This Date in History

St. Cloud’s Middle Town Started – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
St. Cloud’s Middle Town Started – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
John L. Wilson, the “Father of St. Cloud”, purchased a section of land in central Minnesota for $100. This is where Middle Town (St. Cloud) would develop. The first town-site location at St. Cloud, covering what came to be known as “Middle Town,” now the business center of the city, was purchased on July 19, 1853 by John L. Wilson.
Stearns County Fair Moved Permanently To Sauk Centre – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
Stearns County Fair Moved Permanently To Sauk Centre – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
Stearns County Fair held at the current fair ground in Sauk Centre for the first time. The holding of fairs was abandoned until 1903 when a new association was organized, a 28 acre tract of land was purchased in Sauk Centre and preparations were made. The new fair grounds and race track were formally opened July 3, 1903.
First Stagecoach Line Opened – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
First Stagecoach Line Opened – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
June 21st, 1859 – Stagecoach line between St. Cloud and the Red River opened. In 1859, J.C. Burbank and Company of St. Paul combined with the firm of Allen and Chase to form the Minnesota Stage Company and immediately set about the task of clearing a road and building stations and bridges along the route. After three weeks of work, the first two stages left St. Cloud on June 21, 1859, loaded with passengers.
James J. Hill Statue Dedicated – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
James J. Hill Statue Dedicated – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
James J. Hill Monument at Lake George was dedicated on this date in 1939. Have you ever wondered about the big granite statue in Eastman Park by Lake George? It is a 16-foot-tall sculpture depicting the top half of a man in a suit. If you’ve been curious enough to take a closer look, you'll notice the inscription...
Beer Caves Discovered In St. Cloud – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
Beer Caves Discovered In St. Cloud – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
“Beer Caves” found? On June 7, 1949, a sewer laying crew had been plagued with water when attempting to lay pipes between First and Second Street on Fifth Avenue North. Each time dirt was removed water would ooze up and over the pipe laying operations. The contractor then struck rock which led to the unearthing of a cave 100 feet long, 18 feet wide and 15 feet high.
The Waite Park Railroad Shop Opened – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
The Waite Park Railroad Shop Opened – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
St. Cloud was a railway hub in the late 1800s. The city proved one of most important railway centers in the state with tracks spanning from Canada to the Pacific. The Minnesotan lines coincidentally converged in St. Cloud thus offering a direct connection to every mile of the 3,334 in the Great Northern system.

Load More Articles