This Date in History

The Large Granite Boulders In Downtown St. Cloud Were Dedicated – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
The Large Granite Boulders In Downtown St. Cloud Were Dedicated – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
We have all seen the three large boulders on St. Germain Street in front of Herberger’s store. Have you stopped to admire this piece of art and wondered what the story is behind it? This 32 ton sculpture is called “Granite Trio” and was dedicated on this day back in 1973.
St. Cloud Humane Society Was Formed – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
St. Cloud Humane Society Was Formed – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
The two women who helped form the Humane Society were Mrs. Nora T. Gause and Mrs. Cora A. Meiser, and they were organizers of Humane Societies around the country. They came into town on August 24th, and gathered with a group of St. Cloud citizens at the Grand Central Hotel to discuss forming a Humane Society.
The College Of St. Benedict Began – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
The College Of St. Benedict Began – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
When the sisters arrived in St. Joseph they began to plan a college that girls could attend to become teachers. By 1905, the plans were finalized and the development phase began, and the first of the buildings on campus were contracted for in 1911. Then in 1913, the college opened its doors for the first time with a small but dedicated staff.
The Dakota War Started On – ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
The Dakota War Started On – ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
On a bright Sunday afternoon, August 17,1862, four young Dakota hunters were passing through Acton in Western Meeker County. These young Indians came across some hen’s eggs along a fence on Robinson Jones homestead. They were acquainted with Jones and his wife as they ran a combination post office, lodging place and store in Acton, and it was obvious that Jones’ hen had laid the eggs.
Matthew Hall Lumber Starts – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
Matthew Hall Lumber Starts – On ‘This Date In Central Minnesota History’
Mathew Hall emigrated from Germany in 1882. When he arrived here he began working for Lt. Gov. Charles Gilman, who gave him in lumber in exchange for wages. Gilman encouraged Hall to open his own lumber yard. When he had a small supply, Hall rented and later purchased two lots near Seventh Avenue and Second Street North. His business continues in this same place today! The first sale, on July 29, 1889, was for $2.80.

Load More Articles