ST.CLOUD - Winter Weather Awareness Week continues today (Thursday) with the topic of indoor winter safety.

It's no secret that Minnesotans spend more time indoors during the winter months. The air quality inside can be very dangerous if it isn't monitored.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety says carbon monoxide is a greater danger in the winter when windows are closed, and fire places and other fuel burning appliances are in use.

The threat of mold increases with a lack of proper ventilation, along with the risk of lead and asbestos exposure.

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety advises you to put a carbon monoxide and radon detector in your home and change the batteries before winter.

They also say you should have your heating system checked by a professional, and make sure your home is properly ventilated.