Ventura Says He Won’t Run For President In 2016
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura says he won't run for president.
Ventura had said earlier that he was considering a possible presidential campaign. But in a statement posted Thursday to his "Off the Grid" website, he says he "unequivocally" will not run.
The 64-year-old Ventura says he'd love to debate Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump, but he knows he'd win, and he doesn't want the job of president.
Ventura says he issued the statement to end speculation that he would get into the race.
On Sunday, the Libertarian Party nominated former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson as its presidential candidate. Ventura's statement was issued before that, but it says he'd probably give his support to Johnson if the party nominated him.
Ventura's announcement was first reported by the Star Tribune.