Mathew Hall emigrated from Germany in 1882. When he arrived here he began working for Lt. Gov. Charles Gilman, who gave him in lumber in exchange for wages. Gilman encouraged Hall to open his own lumber yard. When he had a small supply, Hall rented and later purchased two lots near Seventh Avenue and Second Street North. His business continues in this same place today! The first sale, on July 29, 1889, was for $2.80.