Students Evacuated From North Junior High Due to Gas Leak
St. CLOUD - There was a gas leak at St. Cloud's North Junior High on Thursday.
WJON reporter Isaac Schweer was on the scene. He says officials have told him the gas line may have been broken while excavation crews were working. They say low levels of gas have been detected inside the building. Schweer says there was also a strong smell of gas in the air near the school.
Students were taken across the street to the Atonement Lutheran Church.
School Board Chair Jerry Von Korff confirms that all the students are safe.
District 742 says parents who normally pick up their kids can do so at 29th Avenue North, alongside the church. Buses will load students on 29th Avenue North. Staff will be available to help parents with picking up students.
There will be no after-school activities.