State Officials Tout Fire Safety During Holidays
UNDATED -- The State Fire Marshall's Office wants to keep you and your family safe over the holidays so they're reminding you of some fire safety tips.
Additional cooking, increased use of candles, fireplaces and electric lights heighten the fire dangers in your home. In fact, the week between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day has the highest number of fire fatalities of any week of the year.
Remember, don't overload electrical sockets, keep flames and combustibles separated and keep the tree away from the fireplace and heat sources.
Make sure you water your tree everyday. A dry tree can literally ignite an entire room in seconds.
Watch what you cook. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of home fires.
Finally, check your smoke alarms to make sure they are working properly.