UNDATED - Minnesota officials are on the trail of motor home owners who haven't paid their taxes.

The Minnesota Department of Revenue reminds you that recreational vehicles are subject to the state's 6.5% motor vehicle sales tax, and they must be registered in Minnesota, no matter where you bought the vehicle.

The department is investigating cases in which Minnesotans set up a shell corporation in Montana, in an attempt to evade paying taxes on high end recreational vehicles.  The department has closed 22 cases so far and collected $230,000.  They're investigating 270 more cases.

The state is working with Montana authorities and the State Patrol.

If you have not paid taxes on a recreational vehicle you should contact the Minnesota Department of Revenue at 651-556-6684.