ST. ANTHONY (AP) — The city of St. Anthony and organizers of its annual VillageFest have announced they are canceling this year's parade in the wake of the police shooting of Philando Castile.

The parade was scheduled for Aug. 5. The city and festival organizers say that other festival events will go on as scheduled.

The 32-year-old Castile was shot and killed last week by a St. Anthony police officer during a traffic stop in nearby Falcon Heights. Authorities from the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension are investigating.

Festival organizers said in an online statement that the parade requires extensive police, fire and public works resources, which are currently stretched to the limit.

The city says it hopes residents understand the circumstances under which the "tough, but necessary, decision" was made.