UNDATED – A major winter storm is expected to affect a large part of the upper Midwest on Sunday, dropping some of the heaviest snow totals here in Central Minnesota. The timing of the snowfall will be overnight tonight and through much of the day on Sunday.
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety reminds you to prepare a winter survival kit.
• Assemble winter survival kits for all of your vehicles. Keep them inside the vehicle where they will be readily accessible. The kit should include:
o Three-pound coffee can, candle stubs and matches which can be used to melt snow for additional drinking water
o Metal or plastic cup
o Red bandanna and a plastic whistle to alert rescuers to your location
o Pencil and paper
o First aid kit, including any essential medications
o Plastic flashlight with spare batteries (reverse the batteries to avoid accidental switching and burnout, and replace batteries yearly)
o Two large plastic garbage bags, safety pins (bags are for insulation for feet, safety pins keep the bags together)
o Snack foods for energy, such as candy bars.
• Some other items that you should carry include gloves or mittens, winter boots, a blanket and/or sleeping bag, jumper cables, a basic toolbox, shovel, bag of sand or other grit for traction, tow cable or chain, road flares and reflectors. You could also consider an extra set of dry clothing or a snowmobile suit.
• Whenever traveling in winter, call ahead to your destination and tell when you intend to leave, your travel route, and your expected time of arrival.
• If you become stranded, never leave your vehicle. Your chances of survival greatly increase if you stay put.
• Consider carrying a cellular phone for use during emergencies. Find a safe place to pull off the road when you need to make a call.
It appears that you already have an account created within our VIP network of sites on . To keep your points and personal information safe, we need to verify that it's really you. To activate your account, please confirm your password. When you have confirmed your password, you will be able to log in through Facebook on both sites.
*Please note that your points, prizes and activities will not be shared between programs within our VIP network.
Welcome back to AM 1240 WJON
It appears that you already have an account on this site associated with . To connect your existing account with your Facebook account, just click on the account activation button below. You will maintain your existing profile and VIP program points. After you do this, you will be able to always log in to http://wjon.com using your Facebook account.