Pawlenty Says ‘I’m Running’, Campaign Downplays It
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Former Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty may be running for president, but he’s not ready to be official about it.
Pawlenty moved quickly Tuesday to knock down a CNN story that appeared to show him officially entering the race.
During a taping of Piers Morgan Tonight set to air Tuesday night, the talk show host remarked on Pawlenty’s low standing in early polls. He asked if Pawlenty would consider being real estate tycoon Donald Trump’s No. 2 on a ticket. The former governor laughed and responded, “I’m running for president.”
Spokesman Alex Conant says the quote was taken out of context. He says a formal announcement by Pawlenty about running for president would come later this spring.
Pawlenty formed an exploratory committee last month.