Minnesota Orchestra Will Be 1st from US to Perform in Cuba
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The Minnesota Orchestra will be the first ensemble from the U.S. to perform in Cuba since President Barack Obama moved to re-establish ties and rebuild economic relations with the Communist-led country.
Minnesota Orchestra CEO Kevin Smith told musicians Thursday that the group will play two concerts at the Cubadisco Festival in May. Musicians agreed to postpone a vacation week to make the trip. One of the concerts will feature the Beethoven Choral Fantasy, with the Cuban National Choir and Cuban pianist Frank Fernandez.
The orchestra traveled to Havana back in 1929 and 1930. Music director Osmo Vanska says while the world has changed since then, the power of music to build bonds between audiences and performers has remained constant.