Kelly’s Beefy Mushroom Barley Soup
Kelly’s Beef Mushroom Barley Soup
What’s better on a chilly Fall day than coming home to a warm bowl of filling, tasty soup. This recipe is delicious, and you can use the alternative recipe ideas to add variety for the whole family. Enjoy!
- 1 lb. beef (or stew meat…If you raise your own cattle…hats off to ya! )
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup red wine (or, if you don’t want to use wine…..substitute 1 cup beef broth + 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups chopped potatos (optional)
- 1 cup carrots, sliced (about 3 carrots)
- 1 cup celery, sliced (about 3 ribs)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup barley
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1. Season beef with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add meat and brown. Pour in water and red wine (or broth/vinegar mixture) and simmer for approximately 1 hour.
2. Remove beef and cut into small, bite size pieces. Skim fat and reserve 1/2 cup of cooking liquid; Dispose of the rest.
3. Melt butter in the pot. Add onion, carrots and celery, and potatoes and saute until tender. Stir in garlic and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Pour in beef broth and add thyme, basil, bay leaf, beef and reserved cooking liquid. Simmer for 20-30 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add barley and mushrooms and simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
Beef and barley soup without mushrooms, simply add the barley…forget the mushrooms.
Beef and mushroom soup, simply add the mushrooms…forget the barley.
Beef soup….simply forget step four and serve “as is”.