Items to Pack in Your Vehicle Winter Survival Kit
It's always a good idea to be prepared for the worst on the roads during the winter. According to the Minnesota State Patrol, hundreds of Minnesotans will find themselves stranded on the roadside each year.
Here's a list of some items you should pack in your vehicle for an emergency survival kit if the need arises:
- First aid kit with any essential medications needed.
- Flashlight with spare batteries
- Gloves/Mittens and winter boots
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- A car phone charger
- Jumper cables
- Energy bars or any non-perishable food
- Bottled water
- Pencil and paper
- Small shovel
- Road flares
- A bright cloth or emergency sign you can use to signal for help
- Duct tape
- Sanitation items
The Minnesota State Patrol adds that you should never leave your vehicle if you find yourself stuck. Your chances of survival increase if you stay in your location.