Fire Damages Townhome in Cosmos
COSMOS - A fire damaged a townhome in Cosmos on Thursday morning.
The Meeker County Sheriff's Office says the incident happened just after 11:15 a.m. at 370 North Neptune Street.
Neighbors smelled smoke and saw flames coming from the front door of the townhome. The neighbors were able to use a fire extinguisher to put out the blaze.
The resident, 88-year-old Myrtle Benjamin, was home at the time of the fire but wasn't hurt.
The Cosmos Fire Department checked to make sure the fire was fully extinguished and found several dead birds in the area. It is believed the birds built a nest in an exterior light fixture that caused the fire.
The exterior of the townhome has moderate damage. The cost of the damage isn't known at this time.