Feds to Review Minneapolis Response to Shooting Protests
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A spokesman for Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges says the U.S. Department of Justice has agreed to review how the city responded to demonstrations after a black man was fatally shot by police late last year.
The Justice Department's Office of Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) announces its decision Thursday. But Hodges spokesman David Prestwood says the COPS Office will assess how the city responded to protesters' occupation of a north Minneapolis police station.
Prestwood says the review will not be limited to the Minneapolis Police Department.
Hodges and Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau asked for the independent review last month. The COPS Office promotes improvements to officers' ties with communities.
Demonstrators staged an 18-day occupation outside the Fourth Precinct station after 24-year-old Jamar Clark was fatally shot Nov. 15 during what police said was a struggle.