Explosion Survivor Discharges After 264 Days In Hospital
ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - An Oak Park Heights man who survived a lawnmower explosion has been discharged after 264 days in Regions Hospital.
Sixty-one-year-old She Yan Chen was burned over more than 70 percent of his body last October when the gasoline he was using to fill his lawnmower exploded. Doctors gave him a 20 percent chance of survival. He underwent several skin grafts and 15 surgeries in all.
More than 50 hospital employees reportedly gathered Thursday to say farewell to one of their favorite patients.
Chen's family credits the Regions staff for his survival.
Attending physician Steven Jackson says Chen's ability to overcome huge obstacles is a testament to his character, as well as the support he got from family and friends.