Crossroads Shopping Center Evacuates During Gas Leak [AUDIO]
ST. CLOUD -- Walkers and mall employees were evacuated from the Crossroads Shopping Center Thursday morning due to a gas leak.
The St. Cloud Fire Department and Xcel Energy responded to a report of a gas smell in the mall around 7:30 a.m.
Battalion Chief Greg Newinski says there was a two inch gas main running along the roof that was pushed down from the weight of the snow. The pipe's reducer snapped and was leaking gas. The gas pocketed under the snow and got into the building's heating system above the Dairy Queen.
The fire department took readings of the lower explosive limits which measure the amount of gas necessary to achieve fire. Their readings came back at two-percent. Xcel Energy took their own readings which measured seven-percent lower explosive limits.
You need to reach 100-percent to start a fire. Newinski says they were lucky the leak happened outside.
The all clear came in around 9:00 a.m.