John L. Wilson, the “Father of St. Cloud”, purchased a section of land in central Minnesota for $100. This is where Middle Town (St. Cloud) would develop. The first town-site location at St. Cloud, covering what came to be known as “Middle Town,” now the business center of the city, was purchased on July 19, 1853 by John L. Wilson.